Mega Update!

Spent the weekend puzzling over the design and I now see this is going to be quite complicated.


Let’s get down to business.

I was going with the idea of putting the support assembly on top of one corner of the wardrobe, as I figured this would be the only thing in the room I could hit.

I repeated the lunge-test, and this time I dangled a thread tied to a weight down from my head to the floor, so I could measure the distance I had traveled.

It came as a shock to see it was four feet.

measuring lunge



The problem became clear when I measured the support-arm:

support arm

It’s only about 2 1/2 feet. I’m going to bash my head into the wardrobe if I fall that way!


Did I consider giving up? Nope, this is the first thought that came into my head…

Hello wardrobe. I want to play a game.

Hello wardrobe. I want to play a game.


It became obvious that I would have to mount the support assembly in the front middle, not the corner, which meant practically removing the sides. This will reduce stability however, so I will need to add supports that keep the top from buckling, but which are out of the way of my head should I ever fall in their direction. Here is a crude drawing:

new look


I’ll also need to make the coat rack removable, and find a convenient temporary storage solution for while I’m enjoying VR.


The wardrobe must be secured to the wall. A couple of brackets and expansion bolts might do.




I could leave the support arm sticking out into the room, but I’d rather rotate it neatly to one side. My lack of wood/metal working skills may be showing now, but this is the solution I’ve come up with:




The support arm has four holes in the base. I’m going to drill a couple of extra ones, and use these to secure it to a circular wooden disk. The disk will be held in place by four corners which are screwed into the wardrobe. The disk can rotate. There are four flat-topped bolts sitting in four holes that are drilled in the disk. There are also four holes in the wardrobe beneath. When the disk is rotated so that the support arm sticks out into the room, the holes line up and the bolts fall down, securing the assembly. When I’m done I use something like a latch to lift the bolts out so I can rotate the assembly to the right. There are a couple of clips attached the left-hand corners that slightly over-hang the wheel, which stops the assembly from tipping over.


weak carabiner

The carabiner on the strap looks a little too fragile. I’ll buy two stronger ones made for climbers and replace one on this end. I’ll shorten the cord to the desired length, sew a loop in it, and put the other one there. This will hook through a ball bearing swivel. I’m not sure which one, I’m still browsing – but I’ve seen one designed for big fish that can take 180kgs/400lbs.

The reason for a swivel is so the cord doesn’t get twisted. This could be noticeable, affect how far you can crouch, and also cause you to wobble while falling.

The swivel will go on a strong hook which is bolted onto this brace:



You might recognize it – it’s the same as on the other end! No I don’t have one, I’m going to buy another bracket. Unscrew its brace, drill a couple of holes on the end of the one I have and attach it there. The reason for doing this is simply so I don’t put too much pressure on one point of the support arm – it could fracture or bend it. The second support arm will be useful as a spare in case something goes wrong anyway.


So much DIY, kinda tempted to just drill into the ceiling now…



Fairly productive day, here’s the news.

I went to the hardware store looking for parts and found these:


The aerial bracket cost me ¬£6.89. Not bad. Doubt it would hold my full weight but i’m hoping it will be strong enough to stop me falling.


Bracket Base


I need to figure out how to bolt this onto my wardrobe, and still have it swivel. I also got a bungee cord which has the same fastening as my harness.


Sadly, even though the bungee is short, it stretched too much. I tried folding and twisting it – no good.

Turns out though I needn’t have bothered. I decided to test the cord that came with my harness, and was pleased with the result.

Bracket retracted

For now I want to place it in the corner, but I haven’t ruled out the middle yet. Still deliberating.


bracket extended

The biggest challenge left could be finding a rotating joint to go on the end. Ideally I’ll find an easy way to adjust the cord length too.


Stress test 1!

I hooked the cord onto one of the curtain rail holders and crouched down to give myself the slack I was aiming for. I then tied it off on the other end. I lunged out to one side to see how far I traveled. While it was a bit further than I wanted, I found it acceptable, and you can always adjust it if you like. You just won’t be able to crouch down as far. This is much better than the bungee, because you could feel the resistance with the bungee as you crouched but it didn’t stop you falling. With the non-flex cord it’s the other way around.

You’ll notice I didn’t manage to fasten the harness, as it’s quite fiddly getting it on at the moment, until I sew it into the jacket. Only had 10 seconds to get into position. Had it on upside down a couple of times! ¬†Notice the burning eyes of intensity.


Jacket straps planned


I’m going to sew straps into the jacket over the harness to make it easier to put on – a bit like the loops in a dressing gown that keep the belt at the front.


More to come.